Richard Jay Belzer (August 4, 1944 – February 19, 2023) was an American actor, comedian and novelist.
He is most known for his portrayal of detective and sergeant John Munch in the NBC police drama series Homicide: Life on the Street, Law & Order: Special Victims Unit, and other guest appearances.
Richard Belzer’s Cause of Death
Richard spent his dying moments with his family at his house in Beaulieu-sur-Mer, France. Bill Sheft, a comedy writer and long-time friend of Belzer, confirmed the renowned actor’s death.
Richard Belzer, according to Sheft, has had various health issues in the past. According to him, the 78-year-old actor “had been battling with circulatory and respiratory ailments for years,” which could have been the primary cause of Belzer’s death.
However, the deceased’s family has yet to make a declaration concerning the exact cause of death.
Bill Sheft also stated that, being a comic, Richard had some fantastic and amusing comments to offer even in his final breath. “‘F— you, mother—-,” he said as he died. Sheft stated to the Los Angeles Times.
Also, one of his close friends, Laraine Newman, used Twitter to mourn Belzer’s death. Newman was the first to confirm the actor’s passing. The two celebs first met on Saturday Night Live and have remained friends ever since.
I’m so sad to hear of Richard Belzer’s passing. I loved this guy so much. He was one of my first friends when I got to New York to do SNL. We used to go out to dinner every week at Sheepshead Bay for lobster. One of the funniest people ever. A master at crowd work. RIP dearest. pic.twitter.com/u23co0JPA2
— Laraine Newman (@larainenewman) February 19, 2023
- Anthony Don Mitchell Death: Anthony Don Mitchell Files a Lawsuit!
- Duangphet Phromthep Cause Of Death: How Did He Become Famous?
- Details on Lillie Clack Death!
Here Are Some Interesting Facts About His Life and Career
- Belzer was born in 1944 in Bridgeport, Connecticut, to a Jewish family. Before entering the entertainment industry, he attended Dean College in Massachusetts.
- He began his career as a stand-up comedian in New York City clubs in the late 1960s. He quickly became noted for his sarcastic wit and dry sense of humour.
- Belzer, on the other hand, is best recognised for his role as Detective John Munch in the long-running television series “Law & Order.”
- Belzer was a lifelong supporter of animal rights and was active with various animal protection organisations. He was also a believer in alternative medicine and practised transcendental meditation.
- Belzer died at the age of 78 on February 19, 2023. Fans and colleagues in the entertainment business lamented his death, remembering him as a great and legendary performer.