AFP, Posted on Wednesday 23 June 2021 at 08:05
Most Sydney residents have been barred from leaving the country’s largest city since Wednesday due to a bunch of Covit-19 delta variations, officials said, fearing it could spread to other regions.
More than thirty people have been positively tested since the outbreak last week in the Pandi Beach district in Sydney.
New South Wales Prime Minister Gladys Perezglian announced on Wednesday that she had been banned from leaving Sydney since. The number of people allowed to assemble was again limited.
A “huge proportion” of Sydney’s five million population will be subject to this travel ban, which affects seven areas where Govt-19 cases have been registered, he said.
Authorities have not ordered restaurants and bars to close, but singing and dancing will now be banned. Even bigger events can be held when the capacity of the stadium is limited to 50%.
“I know from experience … there is a certain amount of fatigue and a certain indifference to the virus,” admitted Brad Hazard, the state’s most populous health minister.
He urged residents not to lower their defenses against “this very dangerous variant of the virus” and “no room for indifference”.
Australia, which has so far spread Kovit-19 on its soil, has reported a total of less than 30,000 cases of Kovit-19 since the outbreak – in the state of Victoria – and 25 thousand deaths per million people.
The person behind the cluster is said to be the driver working for a flight crew affected by the highly contagious delta variant of the virus first identified in India.
A Sydney resident, after spending his weekend in the island capital, New Zealand authorities tightened restrictions in Wellington.
Out of a total of 25 million people, only 6.7 million were able to be vaccinated at this stage, and most were only able to receive a single dose.