October 25, 2021

ParkMapper

Complete News World

The federal government has not prosecuted the officer who shot Jacob Blake in the back

These seven bullets flew Behind the back of Jacob Blake, Very closely, re-ignited anti-racist anger in Kenosha and across the country. But on Friday, the U.S. Justice Department announced that the federal government would not prosecute police officers, especially the young African-American who was paralyzed in his legs during the attack and was armed with a knife. By January, the state of Wisconsin had already dropped its lawsuit against police.

“The ministry took this decision because the evidence obtained was not sufficient to prove that the officer used excessive force,” a statement said. For its part, the state of Wisconsin Especially justified His conclusion was that during the facts Jacob Blake admitted to being armed with a knife – even though he refused to seal it, as the police officer claims.

Three nights of rioting

On August 23, 2020, Jacob Blake was shot in the back several times in front of his three sons when they tried to arrest him for domestic violence. The video, posted on the Internet, renewed police mobilization against violence three months after the assassination of African-American George Floyd, who suffocated under the knee of a white agent in Minneapolis.

It provoked three nights of riots in the town of Kenosha in the Great Lakes region and culminated on August 25. People. The case led to a strong mobilization in the sports world, especially with the postponement of several NBA meetings.

Defensive

By January 2021, Wisconsin State Justice had already dropped the lawsuit against the agents involved. Michael Growley, a local lawyer, described the shooting as “self-defense” because Jacob Blake “opposed the arrest with a knife.” The U.S. government recalled that the Federal Police (FBI) was investigating whether Jacob Blake’s civil rights had been violated.

See also  The last French survivor of the T-Day landings, decorated by Emmanuel Macron, was Leon Cautier

Authorities examined several documents, including “police reports, witness statements, photos, videos …”. But in the end, the department said, “senior federal prosecutors concluded that there was insufficient evidence to establish beyond a reasonable doubt that Jacob Blake had deliberately infringed on his civil rights.”