The United States will continue its airstrikes in support of Afghan forces if the Taliban continue its offensive in Afghanistan since early May, the head of US military operations in the country warned in Kabul on Sunday.
“The United States has stepped up its air strikes in support of Afghan forces in recent days, and if the Taliban continue their attacks, we are ready to continue this high-level support in the coming days.”General Kenneth McKenzie, head of the U.S. Central Command (Centcom), said.
In a full-scale offensive against Afghan forces, the Taliban have occupied much of rural Afghanistan for nearly three months, with the start of the withdrawal of international forces from the country now almost complete. Afghan forces have so far provided little resistance, and they control only provincial capitals and major roads.
“I want to be clear, the Afghan government will be severely tested in the coming days. The Taliban are trying to make their campaign inevitable. They are wrong (…) the victory of the Taliban is inevitable.”, Said General McKenzie. U.S. in 20 countries in the Middle East and Central and South Asia. As head of Sentcom, which oversees military operations, General McKenzie led military operations in Afghanistan, while U.S. forces in the country. Since the end of the command of the forces, General Austin Scott Miller, July 12.
Nearly 20 years after the US-led international coalition ousted Al Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden after refusing to hand him over, fears that they will regain power have been raised by the Taliban’s latest lightning strike. In the aftermath of the 9/11 attacks.